Excerpt from the Short Story - Charlie's Defining Moment



An excerpt from:

A short story by Janie St. Clair

Charlie smoothed her sundress as she and Jessie left their Freshman Honors English class laughing. She kept her hands on her dress a little longer to make sure it was staying down. She was still getting used to the breezy feel.
She thought Jessie looked a lot more comfortable in her jeans, t-shirt, and tennis shoes. Her gorgeous curly hair framed her face. Charlie was jealous that Jessie could look so beautiful without effort. Charlie hated how much time it took to put on her makeup every morning.
“I think the Scarlet Pimpernel might just be my favorite of the ones we’ve read so far,” Jessie continued the class’s discussion into the hallway.
“Really? That book drove me crazy,” Charlie said. “Percy and Marguerite should have been honest with each other from the start, instead of hiding all their secrets.”
“Kind of like someone else I know?” Jessie challenged with a scolding look.
Charlie scoffed. “What are you talking about?”
“Charlie, you hate dresses.”
She shrugged. “So I like them now.”
“You let him call you Charlene. You always said it was an old lady’s name.”
Charlie dismissed the argument with a wave of her hand. “We’re in high school. Time to be mature.”
“Does Derek even know that you do karate?” Jessie asked.
“He doesn’t have to know,” Charlie said, nervously looking over her shoulders to make sure no one overheard. “I don’t want to intimidate him. Girl, don’t you know? You hide your crazy parts until you know they’re hooked.”
“Those aren’t your crazy parts,” Jessie argued. “Those are your awesome parts. I’m just saying, if Derek really cares about you, he’ll accept all of you.”
“Don’t you remember middle school?” Charlie reminded her. “We were the notorious nerds. And on top of that, I went by a boy’s name, and was the butch strong girl with the one female best friend. You heard the things people said about me. No boy would come near me. Now, I have a boyfriend and I’m completely happy.”
“And hiding.”
“Not hiding. It’s just good PR. Like how advertisements hit you with the good part in huge letters, then add all the other stuff in fine print.”
“Did I hear you say fine?” A hand reached around her waist and a kiss was planted on her shoulder. “I hope that means you were talking about me.”
“Hey, baby,” Charlie leaned into his embrace and ignored the look Jessie was giving her.
“Hey, Jessica,” Derek’s best friend, Eli, leaned against her locker, fencing her in. “I’ve been meaning to ask you something. If I told you you had a hot body, would you hold it against me?”
Eli always wore a sleazy smile and pants that hung low, showing off his underwear. He was the unfortunate package deal of dating Derek. Charlie didn’t understand how they could be best friends.
“And that’s my cue,” Jessie said with a look of disgust. “Goodbye.”
Eli watched her hungrily as she walked down the hall. “When is that chick gonna get the message that I’m into her?”
“I think she gets the message,” Charlie told him. “She just doesn’t like the message.”
Eli licked his lips. “I can change her mind.”
Charlie was grateful that Derek wasn’t as sleazy as Eli. Still, she wished he would dump the creep and start hanging out with a better crowd.
“Trust me, you’re not going to change her mind,” Charlie told him. “She’s more stubborn than anyone I know.”
“I’m always up for a challenge.”
Luckily, they parted ways with Eli when Derek offered to walk Charlie to the buses.
He held her hand and, as always, led the conversation.
“Yesterday’s practice was awesome,” he told her. “Eli and I were totally in sync and dominating the court. Even the seniors were impressed. It’s like I can see the future, you know? Eli and I are going to take the team all the way to finals this year and next year, too, then we’ll get awesome scholarships and someday: the pros, baby!”
Charlie tried to listen, but she was lost in her thoughts, wondering about what Jessie had said.
Would Derek accept my fine print?
“Charlene?” he called her attention.
“Charlie.”
“What?” he asked. “Who’s that?”
“That’s me,” she said with a shrug. “It’s my nickname. I never told you.”
“Huh. Interesting. I’ll stick with Charlene, though,” he said with a condescending smile.
“Why?” she challenged.
“Come on,” he laughed awkwardly. “People hear ‘Derek and Charlie’ and what are they going to think?”
She narrowed her eyes. “Does it matter to you, what people think?”
His shoulders tensed. “Not completely, but I have a reputation to keep up.”
Now she put a hand on her hip. “Is your reputation more important than what your girlfriend wants?”
“No. Look,” he took a frustrated breath. “I love you whether I call you Charlie or Charlene. It shouldn’t matter.”
Her eyes widened. “You what me?”
Now his eyes widened. “Nothing!” he chirped in a panicked voice.
She started smiling. “No, you said it,” she teased him. “I heard it.”
“We’ve only been dating a few weeks,” he countered. “I don’t think I’d say… whatever you heard me say. It’s way too soon for that.”
“Uh-huh. Argue all you want, baby, but you’re hooked.”
“No, I’m not.”
“You are wrapped around my little baby finger,” she sang.
He rolled his eyes and scoffed. “You wish.”
“I got you right where I want you.”
“And where exactly is that?”
“Right here.” She reached and pulled him by his shirt until they were kissing.
“Ok, so yeah, I’m hooked,” he admitted when the kiss ended.
“Good.” She laughed. “I plan to keep you on the line.”


Subscribe to this blog, 
Like the Facebook page

Check out the other short stories from Book 1.5:

Or buy the book here!


2017 Janie St. Clair.  All Rights Reserved

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excerpt from the Short Story - Zahid's Library Card

Excerpt from the Short Story - Mac's Character Arc

Excerpt from the Short Story - Adrian's Torment