Peter Hunter, Excerpt #4: Peter's Greatest Weakness




Excerpt #4: Peter's Greatest Weakness

“What’s with the bracelet?” she asked, daring to play with his mala.

Her fingertips brushed against his skin and he felt something like a shock travel up his nerves.

“Uh, it’s a gift from my karate teacher,” he said as he took it off and held it up for her. “It’s supposed to be for prayers and stuff.”

She took them and regarded the beads, then him. “Are you a monk-in-training or something?” she asked.

“Something like that. I mean, I’m not going to be a monk,” he added quickly. “But he’s been teaching me about Buddhism.”

She handed the mala back. “That’s cool,” she said. “So is that what you’re sitting here thinking about so seriously?”

He wrapped the mala back around his wrist. “I was wondering what my biggest weakness is. You have any ideas?”

“Biggest weakness?” She tapped her chin in thought. “You have a lot actually.”

“Oh, do I?”

“You’re an idiot, for starters.”

“No, I’m not,” he contested. “I get B’s.”

She assured him very seriously, “You’re an idiot. Believe me. Something could be right under your nose, staring you in the face, and you’d be completely oblivious.”

“Okay. Fine,” he said. “Is there anything else?”

She nodded. “Oh sure. You’re a head case. Always staring out the windows and thinking about deep things.”

“What’s wrong with that?”

She wrinkled her nose. “Maybe you spend too much time looking out the window instead of looking at what’s right in front of you.”

“And what’s in front of me?” he challenged.

She let out an exasperated laugh. “Oh my god, you really are an idiot.”

“That was number one,” he argued. “We’re on number three now.”

She shook her head, seemingly frustrated, though he had no clue as to why. Then she scrutinized him for a long moment.

“Got it,” she said. “You’re biggest weakness is how slow you are.”

“Slow?” he repeated.

“Yeah. Slow. You’re either slow to figure things out or slow because you hesitate and drive other people crazy waiting for you.”

“What are you talking about?” he asked. “I’m always on time to everything.”

She stared at him with large eyes and an expression that made him think he had missed her meaning.

“Oh. My. God,” she said. “You’re a bigger idiot than I thought.”

“Geez, I feel great now,” Peter said with a laugh. “I’m an idiot, a head case, and apparently an even bigger idiot. Thanks, Alicia.”

She laughed then playfully patted his desk. “My turn now. What are my flaws?”

He studied her for a few seconds, unconsciously smiling. “Besides calling me an idiot? I don’t see any.”

“Oh, I like you,” she said. Then her face erupted into a blush. “Not like, like-you-like-you,” she corrected. “Just… you know… I’d better go.”

She got up quickly, and walked away. For some reason, Peter wished she would stay and call him an idiot some more.




Hungry for more?

or buy the book here!

Otherwise...
Subscribe to this blog, 
Like the Facebook page



©2017 Janie St. Clair. All rights reserved

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excerpt from the Short Story - Zahid's Library Card

Excerpt from the Short Story - Mac's Character Arc

Excerpt from the Short Story - Adrian's Torment