Excerpt from the Short Story - Adrian's Torment

Excerpt from
Adrian's Torment


Later, he brooded over the act in his bedroom. He didn’t want to be angry or annoyed with her. If he were to be honest, he really did want a better relationship with his little sister.
He remembered when his mom used to say that big brothers were supposed to be superheroes – defending their younger siblings from all harm.
He wanted to be that.
So why is it so hard?
“Because I hate her so much.”
I don’t hate her, he argued with himself.
Then he heard the ding of a text message from the next room. Chiara giggled. After that, he heard the patter of her feet as she ran down the stairs.
“I’m going out for a quick walk,” she announced.
He heard the front door close and had a sneaky suspicion of what she was up to.
Oh, hell no! he thought. She does not get to go off for some clandestine meeting after ruining my chances!
Then the thought struck him: “I could get proof and use this against her!”
And with that in mind, he snuck out after her. He was just in time to see her jog down the street and into the neighborhood park.
Perfect, he thought. There are plenty of places to hide and watch.
He found a shadowy spot behind the trees that bordered the park and saw her sitting on a bench next to the new kid – the one who had come over to make cupcakes – smiling all sappy-like.
I knew it! he thought gleefully. They must be dating. She’s going to be in so much trouble!
He pulled out his phone and hit record.
Cupcake Boy was speaking, “I know we just did that Jewish Secret Santa thing at Mac’s last night. What did she call it again?”
“Mysterious Maccabi,” Chiara said.
Cupcake Boy laughed. “Right.”
That Mac girl is just as weird as my sister, Adrian thought.
“But,” the kid said, “I wanted to give you something… specifically.”
Oh, this is getting good!
She gasped. “Oh no! Now I feel bad I didn’t get you anything,” she told him.
“That’s okay,” he said. “There’s nothing I need. Anyway, here.”
He handed her a small, awkwardly-wrapped gift with no bow or ribbon. Adrian could see the kid’s leg bouncing out a fast-paced rhythm despite his calm demeanor. Chiara unwrapped the gift and pulled out a pair of fingerless gloves.
“Combat gloves?” she asked, seemingly delighted.
Adrian gawked. Apparently they weren’t dating. Who on Earth would buy his girlfriend combat gloves?
“You like them?” Cupcake Boy asked, grinning like an idiot.
She nodded enthusiastically. “Thank you! I can’t wait to use them.”
Adrian couldn’t believe her reaction.
What does she need with combat gloves? Are they in some sort of fight club?
He nearly snorted at the idea of his weak sister in a fight club.
“So, are you going back to Eastville for the break?” she asked the boy.
“Yeah, all my family’s back there. And I’ll check in on my old Sensei, too. Oh hey, do you mind if I tell him about you?”
She shook her head. “Not at all. I’ll trust anyone you trust.”
“Cool. He’s always had good advice.”
Advice? Adrian thought. And from a ‘Sensei’?
“Are you going anywhere?” Cupcake Boy asked.
“All our family is coming here,” she said. “So I’ll be using the break to focus on my training. I want to impress you when you get back.”
She playfully punched the air in front of her.
Adrian was grasping at straws to figure out what they were up to, but he had to rush home. Their awkward, disgustingly-smiley conversation was wrapping up and he had to get home before she saw him.
But his sister was up to something and he would find out what.
“Then I’ll use it against her.”




Read excerpts from the other stories here:
Zahid's Library Card 




Subscribe to this blog, 
Like the Facebook page, 
Follow me on TwitterInstagram, and Tumblr.



©2017 Janie St. Clair. All rights reserved

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excerpt from the Short Story - Zahid's Library Card

Excerpt from the Short Story - Mac's Character Arc